Tuesday 24 August 2010

Packing

I do miss the long summer holidays of pre-clinical medicine, but alas those days are behind me now. After seemingly no time at all, I have spent the last day or two beginning to pack for Nepal. Despite being a week away, I have a cub camp starting tomorrow, so am in the situation of having to pack twice (with suprisingly little overlap in my clothes!).

In the UK, medical students and indeed many doctors hardly ever wear ties, allegedly for infection control reasons, but as I am not sure whether this will be expected of me in Nepal, I pack some anyway. 11 shirts, 5 ties and one very helpful fashion-conscious sister later, one small element of my packing is done.

I have found my white coat (equally antiquated to the British mind) and to my horror removed the not-inconsiderable film of dust from my stethoscope and added them to the pile.  I should explain that the academic year I have just completed has focused on specialities (obstetrics & gynaecology, paediatrics and psychiatry), and therefore I worry that my general skills such as auscultation (listening through a stethoscope) have become woefully inadequate to prepare me for 6 weeks working in Nepal. I add 'medical textbooks' to the long list of items I have yet to pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment