Monday 20 September 2010

Boudhanath


Boudhanath (Boudha) is a Tibetan Buddhist temple used extensively on advertising for tourism in Nepal. It is one of 10 UNESCO hertitage sites in Nepal, and at only a half-hour bus ride from Kathmandu, well worth a visit.
The central Stupa dates back to 600AD, when it was built by the Tibetan King who converted to Buddhism, allegedly as a memorial after he unwittingly killed his father. It was rebuilt in the 14th century after it was destroyed by invading Mogals.


Surrounding the Stupa are several Gompas (monasteries), complete with schools (lots of little monks-in-training walking around in their maroon robes - some of the boys I would think were as young as six), prayer halls etc.  Sometimes on entering a prayer hall, you can hear the monks chanting, and with the beautiful brightly coloured walls, golden Buddha statues and incense, the atmosphere is quite spiritual.

After Boudha, we visited the Gokarna Mahadev Temple, with its many stone statues of Hindu gods, some dating back over 1000 years beside the tranquil Bagmati River, and then walked to a temple set up on the hillside - what we thought was Kopan Monastery, but since think might have been a different one!

Local men release statues of Hindu Gods into Bagmati River

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stuart, firstly, can I just say I am turning green with envy to think of you visiting all these wonderful historical buildings! Now that Bryn has started full time school, I have several hours of 'me time' in which to read your blog (of course I should actually be hoovering or planning the Beaver programme right now). I am so sorry to read about your problems with your research, this sort of thing really opens our eyes to the problems third world countries face, when positive things are not allowed to happen. Anyway, keep up the good work. Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, glad you are enjoying reading all about it! Hope Bryn is enjoying school (I'm sure mum misses him more than he misses her!). Don't worry about the research - I was a little cross when I wrote that post, but have calmed down now, and realise at least it is less for me to do when I get back :) Take care, Stuart

    ReplyDelete