Monday 13 September 2010

Paediatric surgery

After two weeks on the medical ward, I have decided to spent some time in surgery this week. This morning I went to surgical out patient department, where I saw many similar cases to those you would see in the UK - hernias, hydroceles, hypospadias, fissures, cysts, etc. However, one case was that of a baby with a Wilm's tumour (of the kidney). This has a 90% 5-year survival in the UK, but after a right nephrectomy a month ago, the child came back with a lump on her stomach. The surgeon shrugged his shoulders and said there was not much more he could do, and referred her to oncology, and went on to say that she has probably left it a long time before initially presenting, hence the lower chance of remission. I am left wondering if whether the difference in prognosis between developing and developed countries is not always the resources themselves, but rather access to them, or more specially public health information. Perhaps this is one area that needs further efforts focused in the future. Unfortunately, with about 40% of the population illiterate, this is by no means an easy task.

3 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying reading your Blog. Ben would be so impressed if he were able to fully comprehened what his godfather was doing.
    Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Looks like you're having a really good time - more like a holiday than a learning experience I think! A few updates our end; Cubs are doing well, Richard says yes to everything I say, so it's become become fairly boring as there is now no resistance to my ideas. I've recently taken on the position of ACC (Cub Scouts) and have responsibility for the provision and operation of the cub scout section across the five inner london boroughs of Greenwich, Lambeth, Wandsworth, Southwark and Lewisham, so many more challenges await! We have a leaders meeting coming up at the end of the month to discuss programme, dates and general group stuff, but rest assured that I will defend your interests at that meeting. I'm really enjoying reading your blog and every week I'm telling the cubs what you are up to (even if I make it up because I haven't read it). They aren't missing you at all but I'm sure they're lying - I know I am because Bob doesn't do what he's asked, James argues all the time, and Carole is on holiday. I now have 21 cubs on my books and hope to have more by the time you return. If you didn't think it was challenging in Nepal, just wait until you get back. We'll have a nice drink when you come home and you can tell me all about your trip - I promise I'll listen to the sound of someone else's voice for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the lovely comment Gill, I'm glad you are enjoying reading it! Give my love to Ben and I hope he is enjoying his new school!

    It sounds like 'Scout' is Tom, but I'm not sure it can be as it sounds far too complimentary! :P It is great so far Tom, and I'm glad you are telling the cubs about what I'm up too. You made me laugh at 'Bob doesn't do what he's asked, James argues all the time, and Carole is on holiday' part especially! Tell the cubs I'm missing them, and looking forward to being back and seeing you all! Take care, and don't get more than 30 :P

    ReplyDelete