Thursday 30 September 2010

Indra Jata II

The festival continued this week, and on Monday night I was invited to Dr Yogendra's father's house, which overlooks the street where the procession was due to pass.

I arrived in time for traditional food of beaten rice (literally squashed, uncooked rice), various curried meats and potato, some sweet foods (such as the ball which looks like marzipan but is like a sponge full of milk - I think I mentioned it before - and a sticky waffle-like food), and some very strong rice wine (much stronger than Japanese sake).


It was great to really feel part of the festival - first we saw some people dressed as gods pass the street, dancing causing lots of shouting and chanting, then there was the elephant (like a pantomime horse) which stopped at various doorways to receive blessings, then finally the part everyone was waiting for - the three chariots. Of course I saw all of these of course in the festival in Durbar Square before, but this was quite different as there was not nearly as many people, and in my position in the first or second floor window (and I also went down to the street a couple of times) you could see the whole spectacle much more clearly. The chariots where perhaps a little too big for the fairly narrow streets, and pulled by long tug-of-war style ropes each pulled by a dozens or so enthusiastic men. I didn't envy the people with the job of steering, as they lurched from one side to the other, almost taking out people lining both sides, and also damaging some banners and telephone wires crossing the street due to their height.

 

It was a great experience, and I have some photos as well as video which I will upload when I get to somewhere with a faster internet connection!



On a different note, forget the Aktins diet! If you really want to loose weight, I would thoroughly recommend a long trip to Nepal. I can guarantee 6 weeks of humidity, variable food, 'Delhi belly' and trekking will cause you to start shedding the pounds! I was just recovering from giardiasis, but the tinidazole seems to have worked, but now I have a cold too. Still, Everest? Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment